Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Let George Do It

Dutch kids were popular on early cards, and "Why Worry" was a theme that I have seen on several sets of cards. I no longer collect this type of card, but I happened to find this one amusing as political commentary when I was going through my cards today.

I tried to find the origin of the idiom "let George do it" but was unable to do so. If you know where the phrase originated, please post a comment. Obviously this phrase has been in use for a long time. Most Americans would know what it means, but how did it originate?

1 comment:

  1. It originated in France, as “Laissez faire à Georges,” during the fifteenth century, and was a satirical reference to the activities of Cardinal Georges d’Amboise, prime minister to Louis XII

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...