Thursday, June 4, 2009

PFF & Postcard Scavenger Hunt #4 – Handicrafts

I have combined the Postcard Scavenger Hunt posting with my Postcard Friendship Friday post partly so more people will see it and partly so I won't have to squeeze a post in between Vintage Thingies Thursday and Postcard Friendship Friday. I have also increased the size of the PSH logo in the upper left of my blog and given it a caption with the current month's theme. I am hoping this increased visibility will encourage greater participation. Clicking the big PSH logo at the top of the left column links to the original announcement post with instructions.

I thought some people might be interested in the source of the PSH logo. I made it by modifying a postcard that I already had used on my blog Let George Do It.


The theme of my monthly Postcard Scavenger Hunt for June is HANDICRAFTS. If you are interested in participating, please read about how it works on my Announcing the Postcard Scavenger Hunt posting. There are some revisions in the instructions, the main one being to put your link in the comments due to the unavailability of Mr. Linky.
June 13: Mr. Linky is now available.

NOTE: You don't have to post today. The deadline is really at the end of the month so there is plenty of time to post. You also can put the permalink to an older post in the comments.


Here are some HANDICRAFTS postcards from my collection to inspire you.

The University of Texas Institute of Texan Cultures at San Antonio. Texas women quilted with scraps of old clothing and sacks, and used corn shucks, cotton or wool for batting. Members of the Greater San Antonio Quilt Guild produce beautiful quilts while sharing the history and techniques of their art with visitors. This is a Texas Folklife Festival quilt. (The 2009 Texas Folklife Festival is June 12-14.)



Natives doing their handicraft in San Antonio, Aguas Calientes, Guatemala, C.A. This postcard was mailed in 1975.



Handicraft of Fes (Morocco) - Potter. Fez and Morocco Handicraft.



Dalarna, Sweden. Gudmunds Slöjd (crafts), Sjurberg, Rättvik. Handycraft products of wood. These are Dala horses.


Navajo rug weaver. Navajo rugs are worked on in the Navajo Hogans in winter and outside under a tree in the summer. Wool is sheared from the sheep, sorted amd washed, carded to make fibers line in one direction and worked into a cord which is then dyed to color and then used for weaving. These rugs are made completely of wool and are famed for their beauty and durability.


Participants in Postcard Scavenger Hunt #4:

1. Ana 2. Judy 3. Lara 4. Chris 5. Sheila 6. A Canadian Family 7. All Things Quebec 8. Marie@ happy postcards 9. Vicky, Malaysia



Postcard Friendship Friday

27 comments:

  1. These are great! I love the theme of crafting. I teach geography and try to have postcards from all over in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh! I make quilts, not nearly as intricate and wonderful as on the postcard. Will try to find handicrafts postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am INDEED inspired. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love handicrafts too. Their works are beautiful. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    What beautiful cards.
    Happy Postcard Friendship Friday to you .
    Thank you so much for sharing all the great information today.
    What a blessing to learn all about these many different handicrafts.
    The festivals make me want to travel just to learn more about the handicrafts.
    Have a great weekend.
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  6. Handicrafts postcards are great, I might be able post some...
    love those cards which you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The combination of the postcards is wonderful. Recently crafting was rediscovered in the desgign world. It's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great cards!!
    I think I'll make a post too! :)

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of the cards,the quilt is gorgeous, really love the painter.
    Happy PPF.
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cards! I love handicrafts, and i admire people who do it. I wish i had more time and talent for these things...since i have so many creative ideas roaming thru my mind :)

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love seeing folks making beautiful things with their hands. I would love to join the scavenger hunt (busy today but will come back and check out all the details and post on my page)
    I had a pair of the white cat bookends, now it is going to bug me until I find them or remember what happened to them. I was a major cat collector in my youth.

    Look forward to more sharing...
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing these wonderful cards. I spent sometime in Navaho land a while back and especially love the one of the Indian woman weaving the rug - I remember seeing women under the trees doing exactly this. Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have some beautiful cards there. I'm not sure that I have any to fit the Scavenger Hunt theme, but perhaps before the deadline I will!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love these...especially the quilt one! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea. Such beautiful postcards, too. I appreciate your sharing them with us. Happy PFF.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have some lovely postcards. I've bee to Sweden and saw the horses being made, so that's my favorite in your stash :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all your Handicraft postcards. I do lots of crafts and was amazed that I do not have many in my postcard collection. But here is one I put on my blog.
    Judy

    http://judyspostcardsplus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great theme! I'll definitely post something!
    Evelyn in Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a unique collection of postcards. I love the handicraft theme. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your cards as always! Great idea for the hunt! I am hoping to get more till the end of month. Just posted the one i have for now. Happy collecting! :) Lara

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here is the url for Lara's post
    http://larascards.blogspot.com/2009/06/postcard-scavenger-hunt-4-handicrafts.html

    Reminder: Please leave a link or url for your Postcard Scavenger Hunt posts so they are easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chris posted two Naples postcards, one of which is a multiview of Via San Gregorio Armeno. This is the famous street of the makers of handcrafted figures for Nativity scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've entered today's PFF post for my (rather feeble) entry to the Handicrafts theme. It's a step away from the real meaning of handicraft, nothing like the great cards you show here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. MR. LINKY IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!

    I have entered links already submitted into Mr. Linky.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Here's a card with a spinning wheel from "Noah & John."

    Mr. Linky was here yesterday, but he's gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi, Lynne,I have posted my handicraft postcards, a combo with PFF.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...