Wednesday, November 17, 2010

VTT - Thanksgiving Ideals



Above is an old Thanksgiving postcard titled appropriately "Good Old Thanksgiving." This postcard was mailed 100 years ago in 1910.

Below is a 1966 Thanksgiving issue of of Ideals magazine with a pair of my turkey salt and pepper shakers. The shakers are marked Napco Ware Import Japan on a paper label.



The Thanksgiving issue of Ideals includes not only Thanksgiving, but also Halloween, harvest, and other seasonal fall subjects. Below are some of the pages. The "Home for Thanksgiving" painting and poem appeared opposite each other in a two-page spread. "The Patchwork Quilt" poem appeared on the right side of a two-page spread about quilting bees. The opposite page had another "The Quilting Bee" poem and a continuation of the same quilting bee illustration.







I'm participating in Vintage Thingie Thursday

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Thanksgiving items. It seems to be tramped over by Christmas more and more each year.
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for showing some inside pages, esp. of the quilting bee. Happy VTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun post..i really enjoyed reading the patchwork quilt poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved all your vintages holiday treats today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that old turkey postcard - and a 100 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow a 100 year old postcard. That is awesome!

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great! I love the quilting bee one...happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are wonderful.

    Thank you very much for sharing them. My favorites is the first one, probably because it's so old but also the image is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful images! I love the farmhouse Thanksgiving one at the top- it makes me think of family and cozy homes with good smelling foods cooking inside! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those postcard images! The colors are so amazing. Your shakers are very sweet -- how cool that you found the same ones in an Ideal illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your 1910 postcard you shared today. They are so charming.

    However, the Ideal magazine really thrills me. The old Ideals are so beautiful with there poems stories and illustrations. Always full of fabulous photos. I have some Christmas Ideals and I put them out every Christmas. Also a summer one that is so lovely. Lucky you to have a Thanksgiving one. I love the quilting bee pages.

    Wishing you happy festive days ahead.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing the Ideals book! I kept all the ones my Grandmother had...just love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your Thanksgiving post!

    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun vintage treasures. My mom always had Ideals magazine in our home. I loved reading the seasonal poems. This post brought back some lovely memories. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh!! My Mom used to get those IDeals at Christmas time and I loved reading all the stories. what a good memory!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I almost forgot... Happy Birthday to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all these vintage images, and your salt and pepper shakers are perfect! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool postcards! Love the quilting one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...