Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Backyard Fences



This is an advertising card from the early 1960s that is the same size and material as a postcard. Both the front and back are covered by advertising for fences manufactured by Panel Weave, Inc. of Linnton, Oregon.


Family history buffs will be interested to know that the only place that I found information about the Panel Weave company was on a genealogy page written by the son of the company's founder. The Panel Weave factory had a big machine to score the panels, then bend them and insert cross pieces. The company only lasted a few years in the early 1960s, but this style of fence is still available elsewhere. You can even make your own, following the instructions for Making A Basket-Weave Fence on the Home Depot website.

When I was a young child, my family lived in Chicago where there were houses and apartments close together. Our backyard was small and had a fence separating our yard from the neighbor's. This photo is me in front of our fence there in the late 1940s.



For More Vintage Images

http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2014/03/sepia-saturday-218-8-march-2014.html


20 comments:

  1. OMG - you were so cute! The moment I saw that advertisement card, I knew, without looking at your text, it had to be from the late 50s or early 60s just by the covering over the patio & the woman BBQing in a dress! Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that style of fencing, not so popular now I don't think. I guess its construction would save on nails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen those fences. They offer privacy without looking like a fort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so sweet - it is an adorable picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve seen that panel-weave fencing too and I sem to remember that it was vulnerable to splitting. If that’s it true colour it would certainly catch the eye; I’d have to plant something green in front of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly should have won some cute little girl contests...and that picture does capture your adorable self. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting to see the basket weave fences made the same way the old English hurdle fences were made with poles. I've seen a few of the basketweave fences in my locality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Panel-weave vs. picket, and interesting comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how the photographer got down to your level to take your photograph

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love looking at old advertisements.

    You are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting to see that the posts were guaranteed for 25 years; I doubt the fencing would last that long. The fence behind you may be smaller but at least it's sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really come up with some amazing postcards.
    And agree - you were soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, the picture of you was worth the wait! A real cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many of us would save a snapshot of a cute baby, but few if any would think to acquire a postcard of a plywood fence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had that card for a long time, but it fits in a category that I am concentrating on now--advertising postcards of "house and home" products, especially those with people in the picture.

      Delete
  15. That panel weave style is really and truly out now I'm sure. Very cool cards you have!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My goodness you were cute! Adorable!

    I remember fences like this. Always fascinated me and I never knew their history. I always thought they looked like a lot of work, but oh so fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a sweet photo of you. I remember my husband and brother-in-law building a fence in one weekend to keep the babies in our new back yard twenty-one years ago. A lot of hard work and cogitating went into that one. It has stood the test of time well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The fence at the house where I grew up in Seattle had a panel weave fence! It was easy for a kid to climb on - although actually pretty flimsy. You still see them in the '60s neighborhoods around here, so I guess they really did last!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...