Friday, October 10, 2014

Wells Fargo Stagecoaches



The postcard above is from the Golden Gate International Exposition held in San Francisco in 1939-40. The stagecoach was loaned by Wells Fargo to the City of San Francisco for its official exhibit. The postcard below is one I bought this week when I visited the Wells Fargo History Museum in Minneapolis. (There are eleven Wells Fargo History Museums, mainly in western U. S. states). This postcard is die-cut and laminated and was sold with a Sharpie pen for writing on the slick surface.


Both of the postcards picture Concord stagecoaches originally made by the Abbot-Downing Company of Concord, New Hampshire.

Source: Sacramento County Historical Society

More images of Wells Fargo historic stagecoaches, from the past and in the present, can be seen in the Wells Fargo Stagecoach Gallery slideshow.


The following images are ones I photographed at the Minneapolis Wells Fargo History Museum.














For More Vintage Images

http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2014/10/sepia-saturday-249-11-october-2014.html


15 comments:

  1. This is just too funny, and I knew there would be some posting about Wells Fargo! My daughter and her little girl rode in Wells Fargo's stage coach for the parade this year in Monticello, Mn. My daughter works for them. So I shall reserve my stuff for a later time! You really aced this, great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Oh ho, the Wells Fargo wagon is a' - commin' down the street . . ." Interesting post. The videos were especially fun & brought back memories. We used to watch Tales of Wells Fargo on TV, & I still get my "Music Man" DVD out every once in a while & sing along with all the songs - including "The Wells Fargo Wagon" with little Ron Howard lisping his way through it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. La Nightingail and I are on the same track -- that song was running through my mind as I read this post. There's a Wells Fargo bank on just about every corner where I live. Now I understand their red and goldy-yellow color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The real life equivalent of Wells Fargo in Australia would have to be Cobb and Co, founded here not surprisingly by four immigrant Americans in the gold rush days, I've visited a museum all about the company and their stage coaches in Toowoomba Queensland. See http://cobbandco.qm.qld.gov.au/About+Us/History/Legend+of+Cobb+Co#.VDi_82eSySo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, not sure why my comment got 'spaced out' like that at the end :-)

      Delete
    2. I don't see anything 'spaced out"
      I hadn't heard of Cobb & Co. I just watched some YouTube videos. This is the one I liked best:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ifx_ugqWg

      Delete
  5. An interesting and enjoyable post.

    Makes me think of all the Westerns that Dad always watches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A terrific post. I wonder if Greyhound buses or UPS trucks will be celebrated as much in 100 years.
    It is about 1800 miles from St. Joseph, MO to San Fransisco. Assuming six horses got exchanged every 20 miles or so, based on the description of the 21 day trip on a Wells Fargo stage coach, that's 540 horses spread out along the route! Horsepower really built the West!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very good post. Those coaches are so romantic to look at but I'm so glad I don't have to travel in them these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for including the videos, they made my afternoon. There is an Overland Mail stamp issued in 1958 with a stage coach clearly depicted,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember the Wells Fargo series on TV. Years ago I saw a W.ells Fargo coach on a set at Disneyland Los Angeles, but it was on rockers to simulate the movement when filming. I never regarded it the same on TV after that.
    You have shown us some great images.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Black Bart disappeared!! The videos are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great a REAL Wells Fargo stagecoach, not like my pretend beach ride!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent post, really enjoyed it. I'd love to spend an afternoon on one of those carriages, with it's team of six horses!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...